The first project they completed was a slab, slump or hump mold project. Quite a few students wanted to do masks, something they did in 7th grade with the previous art teacher. I didn't want to hinder that since they were SO into it, but other students didn't want to make masks again, so I decided to call it a slump/hump mold project. I brought down my slump/hump molds from the elementary room and got out the mask forms. First, I showed students how to wedge and stretch the clay, roll it out, and drape it in or on their mold. Then they received the project guidelines. The project had to (1)have a theme, (2)have multiple types of texture, and (3)have at least 10 scored and slipped pieces attached to the project.
I supplied students with texture rollers, texture stamps, and all of the other clay tools they might need to add interesting texture to their project.
Here are their projects during the last few days of construction. Currently, they have all made it through the bisque firing and are in the process of being painted and/or glazed.