Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kindergarten Post Assessment Results

I am happy to say that I reached my 80% goal in the growth department for my kindergarten SLO!  My goal was stated something like this: "80% of students (39) will reach a score in the satisfactory grade level (72%-80%)."  I did low-ball it for the grade level that they would reach, but that's what we were told to do.  I almost think that next year I'd rather state my SLO's more like this, "80% of students will score 6 points more on their post-assessment."

That being said, I will share that I was successful on my 5th grade SLO at reaching my goal as well.  Only about 65% of my students reached the goal on the 1st grade SLO, and less than that on my 2nd grade SLO.  After discussing it with the art teacher who graded my assessments, we both think it's because the scavenger hunt was just too difficult of a task for their level.  My 1st grade rubric for the 6-square drawing assignment also needs to be revamped into more of a check-list.  It was hard to grade the post-assessments based on what the rubric said because many students had great horizon lines and backgrounds, but weren't as successful with the subject matter.  My rubric dealt more with the subject matter and didn't allow for points to be scored for the craftsmanship in each square, if there was any.  But more on that SLO in a later post.

I posted about my SLO's when I started blogging back in July...you can see my original post here.  I did have to change my grading rubric due to the changes in how our assessments had to be graded at the end of the year.  Since I had to swap assessments with another art teacher, presumably one who does not work in the district and would not be there to observe student's cutting skills, I had to take out any observational categories in the rubric (such as students knowing what hand to hold their scissors in).  Here is my updated rubric that I used for the pre- and post-assessment.



The following are examples of student's pre- and post-assessments.  The pre-s are on the left and the post-s are on the right.

Improvement at being more precise.


             
Improvement with composition as well as preciseness at cutting on the lines.


Improvement at cutting on the lines more precisely.


Another improvement with speed and also the length of the snips with scissors.


This student had really great control over the scissors at the beginning of the year, but took too long to cut things out!  She always needed an extra day on projects in order to finish them, but she was able to finish her post-assessment in one day!

5 comments:

  1. Nice idea! Do you do an assessment project at each grade level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year is the first year I did a pre- and post-assessment due to APPR. I had to do them for Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. I did do a pre- with 3rd and 6th with the intentions of doing a post just to see if my assessment ideas would work for those grade levels as well, but I never did at the end of the year. With the change in my teaching position next year, I'll probably be doing all of my SLO's with high school instead of elementary so I figured why bother! I need to simplify some of my pre- and post-assessments for next year, seeings as I will have all of the elementary grades once a cycle instead of twice so just about all of this will get tweaking this summer!

      Delete
  2. I just finished writing up my SGO's for next school year. It will be the first time we are using them. Mine stated that my students would go up one point on a four point rubric or maintain four points on a four point scale.. This covers all my kids ability levels. So if they come in at a two on the pre- assessment they need only go up to a three to show success. I don't know what your scoring scale looks like but going up six points seems like a lot... do you have a lot of special ed students in your district? I do and I had to find a way for them to also show success and I think this way does. Thanks for sharing all your rubrics and ideas this year! It helped me a lot when I was thinking and developing my own to see what others were already doing. Have a restful summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my rubrics are 4 point rubrics with 5-6 categories, so they total around 24-28 points, depending on the rubric. Most students scored around a 10 at the beginning of the year, so 6 points wouldn't be that big of a jump for them...and if I would have worded my SLO's that way instead of "80% will score between a 72-80%", I would have probably reached my goals on all 4 SLOs and my LLO. Oh well. It's a test year and now I'll know for next year. And anyways, my scores from my observations will make up for not reaching my goals with some of my SLOs, so I'm not worried!

      Delete
  3. What instructions do you give your students for this task. I really love it

    ReplyDelete