Friday, January 4, 2013

Glazes: Which do you prefer?

On the Tuesday before school started, I went into school to straighten up my room.  Usually, they wax the floors and move stuff around, so I figured my room would be a mess upon return.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, (whichever way you look at it) they didn't do a full cleaning in my room, so my trip to school turned towards my glaze cabinet.

As I was going through my requisitions over the break, I was trying to decide what glazes to purchase for next year.  Then I thought I had better do an inventory of what I had.  Currently, I  have a large variety of Amaco glazes from the LG, CTL, and F series.  I LOVE the Crystalex Glazes Amaco puts out...they're so cool!

Anyways, I figured I should make a list of what I had, but couldn't find good checklist of Amaco glazes with the color next to the name, so my anal-retentive organization skills kicked in and I made myself a checklist!  I discovered that I have quite a few doubles, which aren't even open yet, of Amaco glazes, so I think I may try out and order some Duncan and Mayco glazes that I tried out at the NYSATA conference.  What glazes do you use in your classroom?
Just a teaser at my checklist.  If anyone would like a copy, feel free to e-mail me!  It currently only has the complete Amaco glaze lists for the low-fire glazes in the CTL, LG, F, O, A and LT series. As I start buying other brands and deciding if I like them or not, I'll probably add to the list.

My newly organized glaze cabinet.  I have a small variety of slump and hump molds, which are on the top shelf, as well as 6 vase molds. 

This is a test tile board I made last year with my glazes to show the students what I had in stock. It doesn't have enough room on it anymore to add the larger variety of glazes that I have, so I have hung the Amaco glaze poster I received at the NYSATA conference and have the glazes that are "in stock" marked on that poster for when students get a choice of what glazes to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of glazes, my 4th graders finished glazing their poinsettia bowls this week, so those are in the kiln to be fired on Monday!  I feel so behind!  I thought I started all of these holiday themed projects early enough this year that we would finish them before Christmas, but alas, I was wrong, like always!
I left just enough room on the top shelf to fire my tile that I glazed at the NYSATA conference.  It's been sitting on my counter since November!
I made this tile at the Mayco vendor.  We used some new glazes, including the4 Mayco Stroke & Coat accents, which are a puffy paint glaze...they leave intentional raised areas in glaze.




2 comments:

  1. Nice checklist! So did you like the stroke and coat or are you sticking with the Amaco glazes? Do you know if you can use the stroke and coat with other brands like Amaco or Sax True flow glazes? I have a kiln ordered and I am hoping parent club can help get us started with clay and glaze. I already had to spend my art budget for the year. Any other tips for ordering glaze? I have no clue how much I will need. About 400 projects about the size that it looks like you have your kids work in.. Thanks for any advice that you may have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now, I have stuck with Amaco glazes in my elementary art room. I am currently becoming the K-12 art teacher in my district, and the high school room is stocked with Duncan glazes. Back in November, I went to the NYSATA conference and got to use some Mayco glazes and I purchased some of the stroke and coat glazes for use this summer. I will be firing my kiln this coming week of the projects that were done with the Mayco glazes and in some cases, the kids used the Mayco glazes over Amaco glazes. Both glazes fire to cone 05 so they should be okay together.

      When it comes to ordering glazes, I tend to over order a little bit just because glazes are expensive and I know sooner or later, my budget will be cut drastically and I may not be able to order them. The class pack of Amaco glazes (which came with 36 pints of glazes, I believe) and cost about $500 has lasted me two years. I don't always have the kids glaze every project, so you have to take that into consideration. I would say for 400 projects, if you plan to glaze them all, you might want to order about 24 pints of glaze. The other option is to order underglazes, which get painted on like paint and are good for details, and then order a couple gallons of clear glaze. You have the kids paint with the underglaze and then when it dries, paint the clear glaze over the top and everything will end up being glassy and shiny.

      Delete