Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Next Up in 4th Grade...a Portrait Unit!

Alright, it has to be said that drawing people/portraits is not one of my strong suits.  It's not something I've ever really enjoyed doing, especially in college!  But, I decided to stretch my limits and do a portrait unit with my 4th graders.  It fits right in with my theme of drawing from real life so here is what the plan is.

I took the first day to go through the proportions of the face.  No, I don't expect the students to remember everything about the proportions, but I had hoped that what they would take away is that they eyes fall half way down the head, your head is 5 eye lengths across, and the ears and nose are the same length.  I just did a Yahoo! search to find some good diagrams to create a power point (for some reason, I couldn't find my handout from high school that I have tucked away somewhere).  After the presentation, I handed out practice paper and mirrors so the students could practice observing their features and trying to draw them.

For our first project, we are doing pop art self-portraits in the style of Roy Lichtenstein. I gave a presentation about Roy Lichtenstein and then we started line drawings of ourselves.  I think the kids are excited to take a break from using value, but it's not far behind!

Here's my example!  I still need to finish my background...I don't like the white background...I think I'm going to do some pink dots...

The self-portrait in my power point is one I found through a Google search.

Originally, I was going to have the kids use Q-tips to add the dots, but I think I like the Sharpie marker better.  Plus, I'm starting to get a little sick of paint!  I have so many classes painting right now and I think the marker looks nice.

I'll have more to share once we get a little farther along.  It will be interesting to see how these turn out!  I'd say I'm about 60/40 with the amount of students who actually tried to draw themselves through the mirror versus the number of students who just drew circle faces, with circle eyes, and carrot noses....

9 comments:

  1. Please learn from my disatrous mistakes the first time I did this lesson...getting the dots on the paper nicely spaced and in a dimond grid pattern turned out to be a nightmare for my 5th graders. I swore if I did this lesson again that I would find or make paper that already had faint marks where the dots should go. I had the kids draw directly onto that paper and boy it did make a world of diffrence in the results. If I remember right we used tempra paint and the back of crayons or markers to make our dots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about doing a pencil eraser to paint, but I knew I'd end up with painted pencils. I've thought about the dot thing too...I'm thinking about having them draw some faint stripes to keep the dots in order. I'm not sure I have any paper that would already have the lines/dots in place...unless I can get them to use graph paper...maybe with a light box so they can see the grid through their own paper?

      Delete
    2. I created a benday dot work sheet. Each sheet was a whole page of dots equally speaced. Even on 70lb paper when you put the sheet under their drawing you could see enough of the dots to trace over, if you used lighter weight paper (like computer paper) this would be even easier. It helped out my students immensly!
      Also - looks like you've seen my Mona Lisa classroom mamangement technique!
      https://naea.digication.com/wscottrussell/Welcome1//

      Delete
    3. Yes! I use Mona Lisa and she works AWESOME! I used her further by incorporating her into my self-assessment rubric that we have to use because of Marzano...I found different photoshoped versions of her for the scale I use. I'll keep that in mind about the ben day dot sheet...that might be the way to go...it would be easier to see under the drawing paper than a grid, and I do use 70 lb. drawing paper. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I like using pencil erasers. I got some really cheapo pencils and designated them as stampers. They work fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so torn...I like the way the marker looks, but I like the painted version too! Maybe I'll have one class use markers and one class use paint...

      Delete
  3. Here's a link to my Lichtenstein lesson: http://plbrown.blogspot.com/2012/01/zip-zap-zoom-boom-pop-pow.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just goggled dot graph paper and printed a sheet then photocopied that sheet and let the kids draw directly onto the paper. When I photo copied the paper I did it on a really light setting so the dots are faint but there. Then if the kids were not using dots in the background they could cut out their face and put it on blank paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One time, with 5th graders I think, I used a hole punch to make dot stencils and used them w/markers. The problem with Benday dots w/markers is that it is too darn tedious. Kids start pounding marker tips to get it done, and ruining markers. I think it comes down to deciding what the priority is for learning, and if it just becomes tedious busy work you know to try it a different way next time. I'll be interested in finding out what is most successful for you.

    ReplyDelete